Position Title: Vice President, State Government Affairs
Reporting To: Senior Vice President, Government Affairs
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Vice President, State Government Affairs (VP) is a key strategic leadership role within the ESA Government Affairs Team. The VP, working with the Senior Vice President, Government Affairs (SVP), will identify the key state priorities of ESA, develop a plan for achieving those priorities, and oversee the execution against that plan. The VP will also provide guidance and counsel to the SVP regarding the overall direction, operation, and priorities of ESA Government Affairs. The VP will be responsible for the management and evaluation of a two‐person State Government Affairs team, as well as the professional development of all team members. The VP also oversees a myriad of relationships with state‐based consultants. Under the leadership of the VP, the State Government Affairs team will be responsible for monitoring, reviewing, and analyzing state legislative issues of interest to the entertainment software industry. They will develop and communicate policy and legislative positions to relevant state government stakeholders. The VP will ensure that the State team is fully integrated with the Federal Government Affairs team and that they are working in unison and toward ESA objectives. The VP will ensure that the State Government Affairs team works collaboratively with relevant counterparts in the ESA Legal and Communications & Public Affairs teams. Duties and responsibilities of the VP include the following:
- Identify strategic state government affairs priorities.
- Develop and execute strategy for achieving ESA priorities at the state level.
- Drive consensus among ESA member companies on key association priorities.
- Represent ESA before law and policymakers at the state level, including testifying before relevant committees.
- Keep SVP abreast of all key developments in the state legislative arena.
- Maintain regular contact with member company executives on state priorities.
- Oversee development of reports advising member companies on state efforts.
- Develop meaningful understanding of marketplace considerations of ESA membership and ensure that state legislative efforts reflect those considerations and promote membersʹ marketplace objectives.
- Actively manage and develop the ESA State Government Affairs team.
- Coordinate state policy objectives with the broader ESA Government Affairs team, including Federal Government Affairs.
- Work collaboratively with all ESA teams, including Legal, Communications & Public Affairs and Administration & Finance.
- Establish and manage strategic alliances with government stakeholders, third parties, trade associations, etc.
- Manage state consultants and ensure that they are generating a positive return on ESA investment.
- Manage annual state government affairs budget requests and ensure budgetary discipline and compliance throughout the fiscal year.
- Develop and manage the ESA State Political Giving program, including all related legal compliance requirements.
- Responsible for legal compliance with all state lobbying registrations and compliance requirements.
- Frequent travel is expected in this position.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of state and local government decision‐making processes.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability and desire to manage and develop staff.
- Ability to work as a team player across the ESA organization.
- Ability to communicate state government affairs strategy/vision to ESA staff members and member companies.
- Ability to analyze complex issues and develop effective public policy positions.
- Ability to anticipate challenges and identify emerging political trends affecting ESA and its member companies.
- Must demonstrate sound judgment, strategic analytical skills, creative thinking, and a commitment to ethical business practices.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
An undergraduate degree is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
Qualified candidates can indicate their interest by submitting a cover letter and a copy of their resume to [email protected].
Direct (703) 584‐3223
Direct (703) 584‐3215
ESA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.