Last Updated: October 12, 2023
What types of personal information do we collect about our guests?
To offer our guests certain features on our Websites, we may collect several types of personal information when you use and interact with our Websites.
Information You Provide to Us
When you visit our Websites, you may provide personal information to us directly. We may collect personal information from our guests to:
- Respond to your requests
- Report piracy, offer feedback, or make other business inquiries
- Sign up to receive newsletters
- Receive customer or technical support
- Purchase merchandise from our online stores
- Participate in contests, sweepstakes, or other promotions
- Register for and participate in our conferences or other events
This information may include:
- E-mail address
- Mailing address or zip code
- Telephone number
- Payment information
- Other content you provide to us, including your stories and images
Children and Minors
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 and minors under the age of 18. We take kids’ privacy seriously, and we encourage parents to play an active role in their children’s online experience at all times. If parents believe that we have unintentionally collected their child’s personal information, they should contact us at [email protected] to request the deletion of the information.
Information Collected Through Technology
We collect information through technology to make our Websites more interesting and useful to you. For example, when you visit one of our Websites, we collect your IP address. An IP address often is associated with the portal through which you enter the Internet, such as your ISP (Internet service provider), your company, or your university. At times, we use IP addresses to collect information regarding the frequency with which our guests visit various parts of our Websites. We do not combine your IP address with any other personal information.
How is your personal information processed?
We may use the personal information we collect for the purposes set out below:
- To provide our services, including to process or fulfill orders and transactions, to provide updates on special events, game news, information about local representatives, advocacy, and promotions, and e-mail announcements of interest to our users, to verify customer information, and to provide you with customer service;
- To market and advertise our services, including by processing your personal information for targeted advertising. For example, we may display content or send you messages about events in your area, promotions, or new products that may interest you;
- To improve our services, including to undertake internal research for technological development and demonstration and to upgrade or enhance our services;
- To help keep the services effective and secure, including to debug to identify and repair errors that impair existing functionality;
- To contact you, including to send information to you in response to your requests;
- To comply with applicable laws and regulatory obligations;
- For any other purpose disclosed to you at the time we collect your information with your consent.
How is your personal information shared?
ESA does not sell, share or rent this information to third parties in ways other than those disclosed in this policy. We may disclose the personal information we collect to the following categories of third parties:
- Service providers & business partners. We occasionally use third parties (such as other companies, agents, or contractors) to perform services to support our operations. For example, we have partnered with other companies to personalize our Websites, analyze users’ interaction with our Websites, operate our online stores, assist with fundraising, send newsletters, and process payments and consumer surveys. In the course of providing such services, these third parties may have contact with your personal information and have agreed to securely store and maintain the personal information received from us.
Some of these third parties may collect information in order to provide interest-based advertising on our Websites and elsewhere. These third parties may use the information they collect on our Websites to make predictions about your interests in order to provide you ads from us and other companies across the Internet.
We may also disclose the personal information we collect under the following circumstances:
- For legal purposes. We may disclose your personal information as necessary to comply with applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, requests from public and government authorities; and to protect and defend the rights, interests, safety, and security of ESA, our affiliates, users, or the public.
How is your personal information stored and transferred?
What kinds of security measures do we take to safeguard your personal information?
The security and confidentiality of your information is extremely important to us. We have implemented technical, administrative, and physical security measures to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, improper use, loss, or alteration. We use industry standard practices such as encrypted communications, physically-secured rooms, firewalls, and password-protection systems to safeguard the confidentiality of your personal information. We will notify users of a data breach as required by applicable law. We also strive to limit access to personal information to employees and vendors performing a legitimate business function. We retain information only for as long as is reasonably necessary in accordance with applicable laws. We periodically review our security procedures to consider appropriate new technology and updated methods. However, please understand that despite our best efforts, no security measure is perfect or impenetrable.
What Choices do you have about the collection, use, and sharing of your personal information?
- Right to Know: You may have the right to know what personal information we have collected about you.
- Right to Access & Data Portability: Subject to certain exceptions, you may have the right to request a copy of the personal information we collected about you. We will provide the responsive information in a portable and, to the extent technically feasible, readily useable format that allows you to transmit the information to another entity without hindrance.
- Right to Correction and Deletion: You may have the right to request that we correct or delete your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Third Party Marketing: Users who provide certain personal information in connection with obtaining products or services for personal, family or household use are entitled to request and obtain from us once a calendar year information about the customer information we shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing uses. If applicable, this information would include the categories of customer information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared customer information for the immediately prior calendar year.
- Do Not Track: We do not currently process or comply with any web browser’s “do not track” signal or similar mechanisms.
601 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 300 West
Washington, DC 20001
Please be assured that any personal information that you provide in communications to the above e-mail and postal mail addresses will not be used to send you promotional materials unless you request it.
The ESA is a licensee of the ESRB Privacy Certified Program. If you believe that we have not responded to your inquiry or your inquiry has not been satisfactorily addressed, please contact the ESRB at http://www.esrb.org/privacy/contact.aspx.
Please note that, at all times, you are responsible for providing us with accurate personal information and updating it to provide us your current e-mail address.